K-State Season Ended by Buffaloes
NORMAN, Okla. – Kansas State women’s tennis had its season ended on Thursday, as No. 59 Colorado defeated the Wildcats, 4-0, in the first round of the Big 12 Women’s Tennis Championships at the Headington Family Tennis Center. According to NCAA postseason rules, once the match has been decided all in-progress matches are halted.
K-State finishes the season with a 4-15 overall record, while the Buffaloes improve to 12-9 and advance to the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Women’s Tennis Championships against Nebraska on Friday.
Colorado captured the critical doubles point with wins at number one and number three doubles. The duo of sophomore Antea Huljev and freshman Nina Sertic at number one doubles finishes the season with a 2-6 doubles record together. The number three tandem of freshman Petra Chuda and senior Katerina Kudlackova finishes with a 1-5 mark together.
In singles action, the Buffaloes captured wins at number five, two and the deciding point at number four. In the three matches that were halted in progress, K-State led in all three matches as Huljev led at number one singles, 7-5, 3-1, Sertic led at number three singles 6-0 and junior Natasha Vieira led at number six singles, 6-4, 4-1.
(59) Colorado (12-9, 7-4 Big 12) vs. Kansas State (4-15, 1-10 Big 12)
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Norman, Okla. – Headington Family Tennis Center
(59) Colorado 4, Kansas State 0
1. Camila Belassi/Melisa Esposito (CU) def. Antea Huljev/Nina Sertic (KSU), 8-6
2. Franzi Jendrian/Ania Anuszkiewicz (CU) vs. Mariya Slupska/Natasha Vieira (KSU), DNF
3. Abbie Probert/Michala Jensen (CU) def. Petra Chuda/Katerina Kudlackova (KSU), 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, DNF
1. Antea Huljev (KSU) vs. Camila Belassi (CU), 7-5, 3-1 (DNF)
2. Melisa Esposito (CU) def. Mariya Slupska (KSU), 6-1, 6-2
3. Abbie Probert (CU) vs. Nina Sertic (KSU), 0-6 (DNF)
4. Franzi Jendrian (CU) vs. Katerina Kudlackova (KSU), 6-4, 6-0
5. Michala Jensen (CU) def. Petra Chuda (KSU), 6-0, 6-2
6. Natasha Vieira (KSU) vs. Ania Anuszkiewicz (CU), 6-4, 4-1 (DNF)
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 4 *
* - match decided