Wildcats Stun Huskers With Rally
Klimova’s match highlighted a Wildcat comeback that stunned the crowd and both teams on Sunday at the NU Varsity Courts and helped K-State (10-9, 6-5) to a 4-3 win over No. 41 Nebraska (15-8, 6-5).
“It was a pretty amazing comeback,”
Klimova finished next after surviving three straight match points, and tied the match at three.
“I was pretty nervous, I just didn’t want to lose,” Klimova said after dispatching Skaza, 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-3. “I changed my game a little bit, stopped missing balls. I was shaking a little bit during the first two match points and then I got used to it.”
All eyes turned to K-State’s lone senior, Jessica Simosa as she dueled with Milena Schulz-Gartner. Schulz-Gartner won the first set in a tie-break, but Simosa rebounded with a second set tie-break win, and closed the match and the victory for K-State with a 6-2 win in the third set.
“It was the last match on the court. It was three all and I think a lot of people were just kind of in shock because of the comeback that was taking place,” Bietau said. “I was happy to have Jessica out there at that time with her experience and how I feel about her handling those situations. She played an extremely solid third set and the situation made it that much more important. She just did an outstanding job.”
Simosa won in both singles and doubles on Sunday, moving her into a tie for second place on the career leader boards in both categories. Simosa has 77 career singles wins, tied for second with Petra Sedlmajerova two behind career leader Maria Rosenberg. Simosa’s 67 doubles wins are tied with
No. 66 Kansas State 4, No. 41 Nebraska 3
1. Jessica Simosa/Katka Kudlackova (KSU) def. Imke Reimers/Ewelina Skaza (NU), 8-1
2. Kim Hartmann/Milena Schulz-Gartner (NU) def. Tamar Kvaratskhelia/Maria Perevoschikova (KSU), 8-2
3. Fernanda Da Valle/Olga Klimova (KSU) def. Pamela Castillejos/Vanessa Heute (NU), 8-4
1. Kim Hartmann (NU) def. Tamar Kvaratskhelia (KSU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Imke Reimers (NU) def. Maria Perevoschikova (KSU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Jessica Simosa (KSU) def. Milena Schulz-Gartner (NU), 6-7 (5), 7-6 (5), 6-2
4. Fernanda Da Valle (KSU) def. Pamela Castillejos (NU), 1-6, 6-3, 7-5
5. Vanessa Heute (NU) def. Katerina Kudlackova (KSU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Olga Klimova (KSU) def. Ewelina Skaza (NU), 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-3