Wildcats Held Off by Aggies
WAMEGO, Kan. – Kansas State women’s tennis tied its match with No. 35 Texas A&M at 1-1 on Saturday afternoon, but the Aggies captured the next three singles matches to win, 5-2, at Wamego Recreation Complex. K-State is now 4-13 overall and 1-9 in Big 12 play. Texas A&M improves to 12-9 overall and 8-2 in Big 12 play.
Texas A&M captured an early 1-0 advantage by sweeping through doubles play. K-State quickly recovered as junior Natasha Vieira secured a 6-1, 6-2 win over Ashley Turpin at number six doubles. Vieira has now won two straight matches, which is the first time she has won consecutive matches since Jan. 18 and Jan. 31. The straight set win by Vieira is her first since Feb. 8 and now brings her overall record this season to 10-18.
The Aggies were able to fend off challenges by the Wildcats in the next three singles matches at numbers five, one and two in the lineup. Texas A&M clinched the match at number two singles.
K-State’s final singles win on Saturday was clinched by freshman Nina Sertic at number three singles. The product of Zagrab, Croatia won her second straight match with a 6-1, 7-6 (10-8) decision over Christi Liles. Sertic is now 8-11 since joining the Wildcats in January and is 6-2 when playing at the number three position in the lineup.
Kansas State will conclude the regular season on Sunday at 11 a.m., against No. 32 Texas. The match is slated to be played at the Wamego Recreation Complex, but could be moved indoors to the Cottonwood Racquet Club in Manhattan if the weather is unfavorable.
(35) Texas A&M (12-9, 8-2 Big 12) vs. Kansas State (4-13, 1-9 Big 12)
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Wamego, Kan. – Wamego Recreational Complex
(35) Texas A&M 5, Kansas State 2
1. Janelle Cutherbertson/Christi Liles (TAM) def. Antea Huljev/Nina Sertic (KSU), 8-2
2. Stephanie Davidson/Morgan Frank (TAM) def. Mariya Slupska/Natasha Vieira (KSU), 8-5
3. Sheri Olivier/Elze Potgieter (TAM) def. Petra Chuda/Katerina Kudlackova (KSU), 8-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Elze Potgieter (TAM) def. Antea Huljev (KSU), 7-5, 6-0
2. Morgan Frank (TAM) def. Mariya Slupska (KSU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Nina Sertic (KSU) def. Christi Liles (TAM), 6-1, 7-6 (10-8)
4. Janelle Cuthbertson (TAM) def. Katerina Kudlackova (KSU), 6-3, 7-5
5. Lauren Santacroce (TAM) def. Petra Chuda (KSU), 7-5, 6-0
6. Natasha Vieira (KSU) def. Ashley Turpin (TAM), 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 1, 2*, 3, 4
* - match decided