MANHATTAN - The 65th-ranked Kansas State women’s tennis team looked to improve on its two-match Big 12 winning streak, but was turned away at Washburn Tennis Facility on Sunday by 62nd-ranked Colorado, 4-3. Two K-State records fell in spite of the loss, career and season singles wins.
Senior Maria Rosenberg defeated Lynzee Keever in a grueling three-set match, 5-7, 6-3, 6-2. With the victory, Rosenberg became K-State’s all-time leader in singles wins with 78, surpassing the record held by Petra Sedlmajerova from 1999-2002 of 77. The Manhattan, Kan., native now has a career mark of 78-51 and a career-high 22 wins this season.
Freshman Tamar Kvaratskhelia (Kah-vah-RATS-heel-yah) surpassed former K-State All-American Karina Kuregian (KERR-ay-gee-an) on the singles wins in a season list with her 29th win. The Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia product extended her career-high winning streak to 13 by defeating Kendra Strandemo in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. Along with the singles wins record, Kvaratskhelia now holds the career singles winning percentage record (.879), wins by a freshman and longest winning streak by a freshman.
As for Sunday’s match, the Wildcats (8-8 overall, 3-5 Big 12), were turned away by the Buffaloes (8-10 overall, 3-5 Big 12) in doubles play, 2-1. K-State was able to pick up its points in singles action as junior Jessica Simosa aided Rosenberg and Kvaratskhelia for the Wildcats’ points. Simosa dropped Jessica Vanderdys in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2. The win was the second straight for the Valencia, Venezuela, native and fourth in five matches.
Colorado sealed the match when Gleisy Torres Torres defeated freshman Fernanda Da Valle in a third set tie-breaker, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4). Da Valle fought back from a 5-1 deficit in the third set to force the tie-break, but Torres Torres held off the charge to win the match for the Buffaloes.
Kansas State completes the regular season with three home matches against ranked foes. The Wildcats welcome 31st-ranked Nebraska to Washburn Tennis Facility on Wednesday, April 20 at 2 p.m.
#62 Colorado vs. #65 Kansas State
April 17, 2005
1. Maria Rosenberg/Tamar Kvaratskhelia (KSU) def. Kendra Strandemo/Jessica Vanderdys (CU), 8-1
2. Lynzee Kever/MartinaSedivec (CU) def. Jessica Simosa/Judith Diaz (KSU), 8-4
3. Jenny Hanson/Gleisy Torres Torres (CU) def. Tereza Prochazkova/Fernanda Da Valle (KSU), 8-5
1. Maria Rosenberg (KSU) def. Lynzee Kever (CU), 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
2. (89) Tamar Kvaratskhelia (KSU) def. Kendra Strandemo (CU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Jessica Simosa (KSU) def. Jessica Vanderdys (CU), 6-4, 6-2
4. Veera Nurmi (CU) def. Tereza Prochazkova (KSU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. Martina Sedivec (CU) def. Judith Diaz (KSU), 6-4, 6-1
6. Gleisy Torres Torres (CU) def. Fernanda Da Valle (KSU), 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
#62 Colorado 4, #65 Kansas State 3