AUSTIN, Texas Fernanda Da Valle and Jessica Simosa won in singles play for Kansas State but it wasn’t enough to pull off an upset as the Wildcats fell to No. 17 Texas, 5-2, at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center.
The Longhorns (13-9, 7-1) looked well on their way to sweeping doubles play, winning at No. 3 and No. 1, but Simosa and Katerina Kudlackova rallied for a tie-break win over Texas’ Kelly Baritot and Kendra Strohm.
Texas won the doubles point and took the first three matches of single play to clinch the victory. Da Valle stopped the Longhorns’ run with a win at No. 5 over Baritot, who defaulted in the second set.
Simosa followed with a win over Courtney Zauft at the No. 3 position, winning a tie-break, 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8). Simosa’s win marked the 76th of her career and leaves her one shy of second place on the K-State all-time individual wins list. Her win in doubles gives her 66 career doubles wins and put her in sole possession of third place all-time.
The Wildcats (9-9, 5-5) finish the regular season at Nebraska on Sunday, April 23.
No. 17 Texas 5, No. 59 Kansas State 2
Penick-Allison Tennis Center Austin, Texas
Sunday, April 16
1. Mia Marovic/Courtney Zauft (Texas) def. Tamar Kvaratskhelia/Maria Perevoschikova (KSU), 8-4
2. Katerina Kudlackova/Jessica Simosa (KSU) def. Kelly Baritot/Kendra Strohm (Texas), 8-7(7-4)
3. Petra Dizdar/Ristine Olson (Texas) def. Fernanda Da Valle/Olga Klimova (KSU), 8-2
Order of Completion: 3, 1, 2
1. (68) Mia Marovic (Texas) def. Tamar Kvaratskhelia (KSU), 6-0, 6-0
2. (81) Petra Dizdar (Texas) def. Maria Perevoschikova (KSU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Jessica Simosa (KSU) def. Courtney Zauft (Texas), 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Kendra Strohm (Texas) def. Katerina Kudlackova (KSU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Fernanda Da Valle (KSU) def. Kelly Baritot (Texas), 1-6, 4-3, def.
6. Ristine Olson (Texas) def. Olga Klimova (KSU), 6-3, 6-3
Order of Completion: 1, 2, 4, 5, 3, 6