Kansas State Defeats No. 63 Nebraska
This was the first win for K-State since a 5-2 decision over
K-State was able to get things started early by winning the critical doubles point. The Wildcats secured wins at number one and number three doubles. The duo of sophomore Antea Huljev and freshman Nina Sertic defeated Wiveca Swarting and Jana Albers, 8-5, at number one doubles. The duo is now 2-3 together and 2-2 in Big 12 action.
At number three doubles, the pair of freshman Petra Chuda and Katerina Kudlackova set down Stephanie Evans and Maria Ring, 8-6. Chuda and Kudlackova earned their first win together this season and are now 1-2. When winning the doubles point this season, K-State is 5-3.
Shortly after Slupska’s victory, Sertic closed out her match at number three singles with a straight set win over Albers, 6-4, 6-3. Sertic is now 5-2 overall and 3-1 in Big 12 action when playing in the third position in the lineup. With the win, Sertic halted a three-match skid and is 7-11 on the season.
Needing one singles victory to clinch the match, K-State turned to the lower portion of its lineup as Chuda and junior Natasha Vieira each extended their matches to a third set. Chuda, playing at number five singles, rebounded from a first set tie-break defeat to overcome Evans to clinch the match for the Wildcats, 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-2. For Chuda, this was her second consecutive three-set win and her fourth of the season (4-3).
Vieira was able to outlast Ashley Finnegan in three sets, 4-6, 6-2, 7-5, at number six singles to end the afternoon. The win by Vieira ended a personal 10-match singles skid, was her first three-set victory of the season (1-6) and her first Big 12 win of the season (1-8).
Sunday, April 11, 2009
1. Antea Huljev/Nina Sertic (KSU) def. Wiveca Swarting/Jana Albers (NU), 8-5
2. Maria Martinez/Erin Wilbert (KU) def. Mariya Slupska/Natasha Vieira (KSU), 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Antea Huljev (KSU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Mariya Slupska (KSU) def. Wiveca Swarting (NU), 6-1, 6-3
3. Nina Sertic (KSU) def. Jana Albers (NU), 6-4, 6-3
4. Jennifer Holmberg (NU) def. Katerina Kudlackova (KSU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Natasha Vieira (KSU) def. Ashley Finnegan (NU), 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 2, 3, 5*, 6
* - match decided