Wildcats Defeat Jayhawks, Win Third Straight
Kansas State (5-11, 3-4 Big 12) took two out of three in doubles play and won four singles matches in straight sets to top the Jayhawks (4-13, 2-6 Big 12) for the third year in a row.
Tamar Kvaratskhelia was outlasted in a three-set struggle with Kansas’ Kunigunda Dorn, 1-6, 6-1, 6-2, to even the match at one, but it took just two sets for Viviana Yrureta and Fernanda Da Valle to win their singles matches and put Kansas State one point from clinching the win.
Katka Kudlackova finished off
In the opening doubles point win, Yrureta and Da Valle combined to defeat Elizaveta Avdeeva and Edina Horvath the team that won the Central Region Tournament last fall and posted a 6-1 mark in Big 12 play prior to Wednesday’s match.
Kvaratskhelia and Vieira defeated KU’s Smith and Svistun for their third consecutive win at No. 3 doubles. The K-State duo has also won six of its last seven matches in doubles play.
The Wildcats improved to 8-37 in the all-time series against
K-State will close out the regular season with four home matches over the next two weekends, beginning with
1. Viviana Yrureta/Fernanda Da Valle (KSU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva/Edina Horvath (KU), 8-4
2. Lauren Hommell/Kunigunda Dorn (KU) def. Olga Klimova/Katka Kudlackova (KSU), 8-6
3. Tamar Kvaratskhelia/Natasha Vieira (KSU) def. Stephanie Smith/Yuliana Svistun (KU), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Viviana Yrureta (KSU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU), 6-4, 6-3
2. Fernanda Da Valle (KSU) def.
3. Kunigunda Dorn (KU) def. Tamar Kvaratskhelia (KSU), 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Katka Kudlackova (KSU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 6-4, 6-1
5. Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Olga Klimova (KSU), 3-0, ret.
6. Natasha Vieira (KSU) def. Stephanie Smith (KU), 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1, 5, 4, 6