LAWRENCE, Kan. Recently there’s something magical for Kansas State about a 5-2 score. The Wildcats won a 5-2 decision over in-state rival Kansas on Wednesday at the First Serve Tennis Center, their third win by that margin in a week.
Kansas State (5-11, 3-4 Big 12) took two out of three in doubles play and won four singles matches in straight sets to top the Jayhawks (4-13, 2-6 Big 12) for the third year in a row.
Tamar Kvaratskhelia was outlasted in a three-set struggle with Kansas’ Kunigunda Dorn, 1-6, 6-1, 6-2, to even the match at one, but it took just two sets for Viviana Yrureta and Fernanda Da Valle to win their singles matches and put Kansas State one point from clinching the win.
Kansas pulled closer as K-State’s Olga Klimova was forced to retire due to soreness in the fourth game of her match with Yuliana Svistun, leaving the match undecided at 3-2 with two positions yet to finish.
Katka Kudlackova finished off Kansas’ Lauren Hommell at No. 4 singles in straight sets, however, and sealed the win for K-State. K-State’s Natasha Vieira won at No. 6 over Stephanie Smith, 6-4, 6-4, to make 5-2 the final margin.
In the opening doubles point win, Yrureta and Da Valle combined to defeat Elizaveta Avdeeva and Edina Horvath the team that won the Central Region Tournament last fall and posted a 6-1 mark in Big 12 play prior to Wednesday’s match.
Kvaratskhelia and Vieira defeated KU’s Smith and Svistun for their third consecutive win at No. 3 doubles. The K-State duo has also won six of its last seven matches in doubles play.
The Wildcats improved to 8-37 in the all-time series against Kansas and have won consecutive meetings in Lawrence. Kansas State picked up its second road win of the season and its third win in Big 12 competition.
K-State will close out the regular season with four home matches over the next two weekends, beginning with Colorado at noon on Saturday and Nebraska at 1 p.m. on Sunday.
Kansas State at Kansas
First Serve Tennis Center
Lawrence, Kan. 4.11.07
1. Viviana Yrureta/Fernanda Da Valle (KSU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva/Edina Horvath (KU), 8-4
2. Lauren Hommell/Kunigunda Dorn (KU) def. Olga Klimova/Katka Kudlackova (KSU), 8-6
3. Tamar Kvaratskhelia/Natasha Vieira (KSU) def. Stephanie Smith/Yuliana Svistun (KU), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Viviana Yrureta (KSU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU), 6-4, 6-3
2. Fernanda Da Valle (KSU) def. Edina Horvath (KU), 6-2, 7-6(6)
3. Kunigunda Dorn (KU) def. Tamar Kvaratskhelia (KSU), 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Katka Kudlackova (KSU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 6-4, 6-1
5. Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Olga Klimova (KSU), 3-0, ret.
6. Natasha Vieira (KSU) def. Stephanie Smith (KU), 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1, 5, 4, 6