COLUMBIA, Mo. - Kansas State women’s tennis had its two-match winning streak snapped by 47th-ranked Missouri Friday afternoon, 5-2. Freshmen Tamar Kvaratskhelia and Tereza Prochazkova captured singles points for K-State.
The Wildcats (6-7 overall, 1-4 Big 12) dropped the doubles point for the first time in three matches, losing 2-1 to the Tigers (13-5 overall, 3-4 Big 12). The tandem of senior Judith Diaz and junior Jessica Simosa for the Wildcats defeated Yelena Olshaskaya and Erika Josbena, 8-5. The win improves the Venezuelan pairs’ record to 11-3 overall and 2-3 in the Big 12.
Kvaratskhelia nailed down her ninth straight win, beating Hana Kraftova in three sets, 7-6, 0-6, 6-0. The win by the Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia product and 89th-ranked player in the nation, improves her record to 26-4. Kvaratskhelia is now tied with Karin Lusnic (1991-92) for second on the school’s singles wins in a season list. The win also ratchets up her career singles winning percentage record to .867.
Prochazkova won in straight sets for the second straight match, dropping Lubica Nadasska, 6-1, 6-3. The win was the third straight for the Brno, Czech Republic native. Prochazkova now has a record of 8-5 this spring and 3-2 in the Big 12.
K-State will conclude the weekend with a match in Ames, Iowa against Iowa State. Match time is set for 4 p.m., on Saturday.
Kansas State vs. #47 Missouri
April 8, 2005
1. Scevcikova/Kramer (MU) def. Rosenberg/Kvaratskhelia (KSU) 8-3
2. Simosa/Diaz (KSU) def. Olshanskaya/Josbena (MU) 8-5
3. Bellis/ Kraftova (MU) def. Prochazkova/DaValle (KSU) 8-3
1. (102) Katka Scevcikova (MU) def. Maria Rosenberg (KSU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
2. (89) Tamar Kvaratskhelia (KSU) def. Hana Kraftova (MU) 7-6, 0-6, 6-0
3. Yelena Olshanskaya (MU) def. Jessica Simosa (KSU) 6-3, 5-7, 6-2
4. Tereza Prochazkova (KSU) def. Lubica Nadasska (MU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Erika Josbena (MU) def. Judith Diaz (KSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Carolyn Kramer (MU) def. Fernanda Da Valle (KSU) 3-6, 6-4, 10-6
Missouri 5, Kansas State 2