MANHATTAN, Kan. Katka Kudlackova fought off two match points and rallied from a 5-2 deficit in the third set to give Kansas State the deciding point in a 5-2 win over the Texas Tech Red Raiders in Ahearn Field House on Saturday.
Kudlackova defeated Texas Tech’s Kerryn Potgeiter at No. 4 singles, 3-6, 6-0, 7-5, and helped K-State win its second consecutive Big 12 Conference match.
The Wildcats (4-11, 2-4 Big 12) opened Saturday’s match by winning two out of three in doubles and jumped out to an early 1-0 lead over the Red Raiders (9-8, 2-5 Big 12).
Texas Tech evened the score with a win at No. 1 singles but K-State took the next three matches, including Kudlackova’s rally, and clinched the victory.
Fernanda Da Valle defeated Lakann Wagley in straight sets at No. 2 singles and Tamar Kvaratskhelia outlasted Janet Durham in three sets at No. 3 singles. Kudlackova was the fourth Wildcat to finish and put K-State up 4-1.
Kansas State’s Olga Klimova was forced to retire in the second set of her match with Maria Andres at No. 5. Klimova strained her knee while trailing, 6-4, 4-3. Natasha Vieira closed out the dual with a straight set win at No. 6 over Tech’s Brenna Jackson.
In doubles play, Klimova and Kudlackova won their team-leading fifth conference match by topping Lakann Wagley and Brenna Jackson at No. 2, 8-6. Vieira and Kvaratskhelia won at No. 3 over Potgeiter and Andres, 8-1, to give the Wildcats the doubles point.
The Wildcats improved to 11-6 all-time against Texas Tech and have won the last four meetings in Manhattan. Kansas State is 3-2 at home this season and 3-1 in matches played at Ahearn Field House.
Kansas State will play its final road match of the regular season when it travels to face in-state rival Kansas on Wednesday. The Wildcats then host four duals at home to close out the season, beginning with Colorado on Saturday and Nebraska on Sunday.
Kansas State vs. Texas Tech
Ahearn Field House
Manhattan, Kan. 4.7.07
1. Samantha van der Drift/Janet Durham (TTU) def. Viviana Yrureta/Fernanda Da Valle (KSU), 9-8(7-3)
2. Olga Klimova/Katka Kudlackova (KSU) def. Lakann Wagley/Brenna Jackson (TTU), 8-6
3. Tamar Kvaratskhelia/Natasha Vieira (KSU) def. Kerryn Potgeiter/Maria Andres (TTU), 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Samantha van der Drift (TTU) def. Viviana Yrureta (KSU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Fernanda Da Valle (KSU) def. Lakann Wagley (TTU), 6-0, 6-3
3. Tamar Kvaratskhelia (KSU) def. Janet Durham (TTU), 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
4. Katka Kudlackova (KSU) def. Kerryn Potgeiter (TTU), 3-6, 6-0, 7-5
5. Maria Andres (TTU) def. Olga Klimova (KSU), 6-4, 4-3, ret.
6. Natasha Vieira (KSU) def. Brenna Jackson (TTU), 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6