STILLWATER, Okla. Viviana Yrureta won in singles to help Kansas State avoid a sweep, but she couldn’t help the Wildcats avoid a 6-1 loss to Oklahoma State at the DeBois Tennis Center on Sunday.
Yrureta topped Iryna Tkachenko at No. 1 singles in straight sets but was the only Wildcat to win a match in singles or doubles. Kansas State (2-11, 0-4 Big 12) has lost 10 consecutive matches and is winless in four conference matches this season.
No. 52 Oklahoma State (12-5, 4-2 Big 12) opened play by sweeping through doubles, including a win by Lauren Simmons and Tkachenko at No. 2 over K-State’s Olga Klimova and Katerina Kudlackova. The Oklahoma State tandem won 8-4 and handed Klimova and Kudlackova their first loss of the conference season.
Five of the six singles matches were decided in straight sets. K-State’s Katerina Kudlackova took Lauren Simmons to a third-set tie-break after rallying for a win in the second set but fell 10-5 in the third frame.
The Wildcats will travel to Ames, Iowa, next Wednesday to challenge the Iowa State Cyclones and host Texas Tech next Saturday in Manhattan. K-State will close the regular season with five of six matches at home.
Kansas State at Oklahoma State
DeBois Tennis Center
Stillwater, Okla. 4.1.07
1. Yawna Allen/Nataliya Shatkovskaya (OSU) def. Viviana Yrureta/Fernanda Da Valle (KSU), 8-5
2. Lauren Simmons/Iryna Tkachenko (OSU) def. Olga Klimova/Katka Kudlackova (KSU), 8-4
3. Jennifer Poskitt/Marta Tsivka (OSU) def. Tamar Kvaratskhelia/Natasha Vieira (KSU), 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Viviana Yrureta (KSU) def. Iryna Tkachenko (OSU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Yawna Allen (OSU) def. Fernanda Da Valle (KSU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Nataliya Shatkovskaya (OSU) def. Tamar Kvaratskhelia (KSU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Lauren Simmons (OSU) def. Katka Kudlackova (KSU), 6-3, 3-6, 10-5
5. Marta Tsivka (OSU) def. Olga Klimova (KSU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Jennifer Poskitt (OSU) def. Natasha Vieira (KSU), 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 6, 5, 4, 1