NORMAN, Okla. A furious rally by Kansas State fell one set short and the Wildcats dropped a 4-3 decision to Oklahoma on Saturday. Kansas State trailed 3-1 in the match before tying it up with one singles position remaining at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
Fernanda Da Valle was outlasted by Oklahoma’s Irina Lykina in a three-set struggle at No. 2 to give the Sooners the victory and hand the Wildcats their ninth consecutive loss.
Kansas State (2-10, 0-3 Big 12) opened the match by winning the doubles point for the first time in over a month. The Wildcats won at all three doubles positions and took an early 1-0 lead.
The Sooners (3-9, 3-3 Big 12) responded to doubles play by winning the first set in four of the six singles matches and took over the lead by winning three of those in straight sets.
Oklahoma turned the momentum of the match by defeating K-State’s Natasha Vieira, Olga Klimova and Viviana Yrureta in straight sets and led, 3-1, with three matches left to be played.
Tamar Kvaratskhelia gave the Wildcats their second point with her win over Christi Baxley at No. 3, 7-6(5), 7-5, as Fernanda Da Valle and Katerina Kudlackova went to the third set in their matches.
Kudlackova won the first set, 7-5, in her match with Chelsea Orr at No. 4 singles but was defeated in the second, 6-2, pushing the match to a decisive third set. In the final frame Kudlackova won a tie-break and the match, 7-6(5), and tied the team scores at three.
At No. 2 singles Da Valle lost the first set in a tie-break to Lykina but rallied for a 6-2 win in the second. With her teammates cheering her on, Da Valle was unable to hold off Lykina in the third set and lost 6-3.
Kansas State continues its Oklahoma road trip and the Wildcats take on Oklahoma State on Sunday in Stillwater, Okla. The Wildcats will travel to Ames, Iowa, next Wednesday to challenge the Cyclones and host Texas Tech next Saturday in Manhattan. K-State will close the regular season with five of six matches at home.
Kansas State at Oklahoma
Headington Family Tennis Center
Norman, Okla. 3.31.07
1. Viviana Yrureta/Fernanda Da Valle (KSU) def. Irina Lykina/Gabby Baker (OU), 8-6
2. Olga Klimova/Katka Kudlackova (KSU) def. Christi Baxley/Monica Purice (OU), 8-7(5)
3. Tamar Kvaratskhelia/Natasha Vieira (KSU) def. Rachael Cox/Chelsea Orr (OU), 8-5
Order of Finish: -
1. Monica Purice (OU) def. Viviana Yrureta (KSU), 6-1, 6-4
2. Irina Lykina (OU) def. Fernanda Da Valle (KSU), 7-6(5), 2-6, 6-3
3. Tamar Kvaratskhelia (KSU) def. Christi Baxley (OU), 7-6(5), 7-5
4. Katka Kudlackova (KSU) def. Chelsea Orr (OU), 7-5, 6-2, 7-6(5)
5. Anne Carter (OU) def. Olga Klimova (KSU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Elena Antakova (OU) def. Natasha Vieira (KSU), 6-3, 7-5(2)
Order of Finish: -