ARLINGTON, Texas - Kansas State women’s tennis snared its first road victory since the 2003 season and ended a three-match losing streak, beating Texas-Arlington, 5-2 on Tuesday.
The Wildcats (5-6, 1-3 Big 12) grabbed their first doubles point in four matches, winning the point 3-0 over the Lady Mavericks (6-3, 5-0 Southland). The pair of senior Judith Diaz and junior Jessica Simosa ran their spring record to 6-3 and 9-3 overall by setting back Monika Peciulionyte and Anete Rozkalne, 8-5. The pair of freshmen Tereza Prochazkova and Fernanda Da Valle handled Gretel Hach and Jessica Shepard, 8-1.
In singles play, freshman Tamar Kvaratskhelia kept rolling along, dropping Daniela Novakova, 6-3, 6-2. The win for the Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia native is her 24th of the season and moves her into a tie for third with Annika Emtell (1988-89) on the singles wins in a season list.
Other Wildcat winners on Tuesday were: Simosa, Da Valle and Prochazkova. Simosa won her 51st career singles match by beating Anete Rozkalne 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4). Da Valle set down Jessica Shepard, 6-2, 6-2 and Prochazkova won by default.
The win is the first in 12 chances for the Wildcats, who last won on the road April 12, 2003 against in-state rival Kansas, 5-2. K-State is now 1-5 on the road this season.
Kansas State will have a week and a half to prepare for its next match with in-state, non-conference rival Wichita State April 2.
Kansas State vs. Texas-Arlington
March 22, 2005
1. Maria Rosenberg/Tamar Kvaratskhelia (KSU) def. Pavla Mesterova/Daniela Novakova(UTA) 9-8 (8-6)
2. Jessica Simosa/Judith Diaz (KSU) def. Monika Peciulionyte/Anete Rozkalne (UTA 8-5
3. Tereza Prochazkova/Fernanda Da Valle (KSU) def. Gretel Hach/Jessica Shepard (UTA) 8-1
1. Pavla Mesterova (UTA) def. Maria Rosenberg (KSU) 7-6 (12-10), 6-4
2. Tamar Kvaratskhelia (KSU) def. Daniela Novakova (UTA) 6-3, 6-2
3. Jessica Simosa (KSU) def. Anete Rozkalne (UTA) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4)
4. Gretel Hach (UTA) def. Judith Diaz (KSU) 6-1, 2-6, 1-0 (10-7)
5. Fernanda Da Valle (KSU) def. Jessica Shepard (UTA) 6-2, 6-2
6. Tereza Prochazkova (KSU) Wins by default
Kansas State 5, Texas-Arlington 2