LONG BEACH, Calif. The 56th-ranked Kansas State women’s tennis team closed its spring break trip to California with a 4-3 loss to 20th-ranked Long Beach State late Monday night at the 49er Campus Courts. The Wildcats are now 2-5 this season in matches decided by a 4-3 score.
K-State (6-6, 2-2 Big 12) dropped the doubles point, 3-0. It is the first time the Wildcats have been swept in doubles play since the Big 12 Conference opener at Texas Tech on Feb. 5.
The Wildcats picked up three team points in singles play as freshmen Maria Perevoschikova and Katerina Kudlackova and sophomore Fernanda Da Valle won their singles matches in straight sets. Da Valle has won her last four singles outings and five of her last seven at the number five position. Perevoschikova and Kudlackova have won three straight singles matches in the three and four positions, respectively.
K-State will return to Manhattan to host Iowa State and Oklahoma on April 1-2 at the Washburn Tennis Facility.
No. 56 Kansas State vs. No. 20 Long Beach State
Long Beach, Calif.
Monday, March 20, 2006
- Rocha/Williams (LBSU) def. Simosa/Kudlackova (KSU), 8-3
- #22 Grady/Weeks (LBSU) def. Kvaratskhelia/Perevoschikova (KSU), 8-4
- Porsz/Bengson (LBSU) def. Da Valle/Klimova (KSU), 8-2
- #69 Hannah Grady (LBSU) def. #89 Tamar Kvaratskhelia (KSU), 6-1, 6-3
- #120 Katy Williams (LBSU) def. Jessica Simosa (KSU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
- Maria Perevoschikova (KSU) def. Stephanie Bengson (LBSU), 7-6 (4), 6-4
- Katerina Kudlackova (KSU) def. Sandra Rocha (LBSU), 7-6 (4), 6-2
- Fernanda Da Valle (KSU) def. Jessica Weeks (LBSU), 6-1, 7-6 (10)
Rachael Porsz (LBSU) def. Olga Klimova 7-6 (4), 6-2