MANHATTAN, Kan. Kansas State women’s tennis looked to upset its first ranked opponent of the season on Sunday, but No. 32 Tulsa proved to be too much in singles play, winning 4-0. Due to weather conditions at match time and time constraints for the Tulsa travel party, the match was played at Cottonwood Racquet Club and utilized Big 12 Championship and NCAA Tournament match rules.
K-State (3-4) held a lead at the number four position when the match was halted, as sophomore Vanessa Cottin led 7-5, 2-0 in her match against Marta Marcinkowska. The Golden Hurricanes (14-2) captured wins at number one, three, five and six singles in straight sets.
Kansas State will open Big 12 action on Friday at 1 p.m. in Ames, Iowa against Iowa State.
(32) Tulsa vs. Kansas State
March 8, 2009 - Manhattan, Kan.
Cottonwood Racquet Club
(32) Tulsa 4, Kansas State 0
1. Alexandra Kichoutkin (Tulsa) def. Antea Huljev (KSU), 6-1, 7-5
2. Jie Zeng (Tulsa) vs. Nina Sertic (KSU), 2-6, 6-2, 3-0 DNF
3. Thalia Diaz-Barriga (Tulsa) def. Mariya Slupska (KSU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Vanessa Cottin (KSU) vs. Marta Marcinkowska (Tulsa) 7-5, 2-0 DNF
5. Anastasia Erofeeva (Tulsa) def. Petra Chuda (KSU), 6-0, 6-1
6. Ewa Szatkowska (Tulsa) def. Katerina Kudlackova (KSU), 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 1, 6