MANHATTAN, Kan. The No. 70 Kansas State women’s tennis team managed to capture two singles victories, but dropped a tightly contested doubles point to fall to No. 46 New Mexico, 5-2, on Saturday in Ahearn Field House.
For the second time this week, senior Viviana Yrureta and freshman Antea Huljev captured singles victories and combined for a doubles win. Yrureta won her second straight three-set match and defeated her second ranked opponent of the season, as she defeated No. 116 Ola Abou-Zekry, 6-1, 0-6, 6-2. She now owns an 11-9 mark this season and is 5-3 in the spring at the number one position.
Huljev won her second match this week and third straight overall with a hard fought three-set win over Mackenzie White at the number three position, 6-3, 0-6, 6-4. The native of Velenje, Slovenia owns a team-high 13 singles wins this season and is 6-2 during the spring season.
The Wildcats were unable to capture the doubles point on Saturday, despite Yrureta and Huljev combining to edge past Victoria Tessmar and Jennifer Ryba, 9-7. The point was decided at the number one doubles position, as senior Olga Klimova and junior Katerina Kudlackova fought to extra points with Lucy Scott and Sandra Zmak. The Lobos captures the point, as Scott and Zmak held off the Wildcats’ duo at 9-8 (7-2).
Kansas State will hit the road next week for a two-match Big 12 Conference road trip at Missouri and at Colorado.
(46) New Mexico (6-4) vs. (70) Kansas State (4-5)
March 8, 2008
Manhattan, Kan. Ahearn Field House
(46) New Mexico 5, (70) Kansas State 2
1. Lucy Scott/Sandra Zmak (UNM) def. Katerina Kudlackova/Olga Klimova (KSU); 9-8 (7-2)
2. Viviana Yrureta/ Antea Huljev (KSU) def. Victoria Tessmar/Jennifer Ryba (UNM), 9-7
3. Maria Sotirchos/Mackenzie White (UNM) def. Natasha Vieira/ Vanessa Cottin (KSU); 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Viviana Yrureta (KSU) def. (116) Ola Abou-Zekry (UNM); 6-1, 0-6, 6-2
2. Sandra Zmak (UNM) def. Katerina Kudlackova (KSU); 6-1, 7-6 (3)
3. Antea Huljev (KSU) def. Mackenzie White (UNM); 6-3, 0-6, 6-4
4. Emma Hayman (UNM) def. Vanessa Cottin (KSU); 6-2, 6-4
5. Jennifer Ryba (UNM) def. Natasha Vieira (KSU); 6-4, 6-3
6. Victoria Tessmar (UNM) def. Olga Klimova (KSU; 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 1, 3, 5, 6