K-State Sweeps Past Saint Louis
For the second straight week, the Wildcats (2-0) secured the doubles point and for the first time this season won all three doubles matches. The number two tandem of senior Viviana Yrureta and freshman Antea Huljev swept past Rachel McCullagh and Tara Grant, 8-0. The duo is now 4-4 on the season and 1-0 in dual play.
At the number three position, the freshmen duo of Vanessa Cottin and Pauline Guemas defeated Joe Becker and Caitlin McKenna 8-1. This is the second straight win for the French duo. The number one team of junior Katerina Kudlackova and senior Olga Klimova won their third straight doubles match with an 8-3 decision over Amanda Hellberg and Casey Miller.
In singles action, the top three seeds of Yrureta, Cottin and Kudlackova all won in straight sets. Cottin and Kudlackova each won by identical scores of 6-2, 6-0 over Grant and McCullagh, respectively.
At number six, Klimova won her first singles match since April 4, 2007. The product of Brno, Czech Republic swept by McKenna, 6-1, 6-4, to put an end to a personal three-match losing streak.
The Wildcats are now 2-0 for the first time since the 2003 season when the squad opened played with a 4-0 start.
February 9, 2008
1. Katerina Kudlackova/Olga Klimova (KSU) def. Amanda Hellberg/Casey Miller (SLU), 8-3
2. Viviana Yrureta/Antea Huljev (KSU) def. Rachel McCullagh/Tara Grant (SLU), 8-0
3. Vanessa Cottin/Pauline Guemas (KSU) def. Joe Becker/Caitlin McKenna (SLU), 8-1
1. Viviana Yrureta (KSU) def. Amanda Hellberg (SLU), 7-5, 6-3
2. Vanessa Cottin (KSU) def. Tara Grant (SLU), 6-2, 6-0
3. Katerina Kudlackova (KSU) def. Rachel McCullagh (SLU), 6-2, 6-0
4. Natasha Vieira (KSU) def. Joe Becker (SLU), 6-4, 6-7 (7-4), 6-3
5. Antea Huljev (KSU) def. Casey Miller (SLU), 6-3, 6-26. Olga Klimova (KSU) def. Caitlin McKenna (SLU), 6-1, 6-4