MANHATTAN, Kan. Kansas State women’s tennis opened its spring dual season with a 6-1 win over Drake on Saturday at Cottonwood Racquet Club. The Wildcats have now won five straight season openers and six of the last seven.
K-State (1-0) was able to secure the doubles point by winning all three matches. The number one doubles tandem of Katerina Kudlackova and Nina Sertic dispatched of Amanda Aragon and Gabby Demos, 8-1. The Wildcats secured the point at the number three doubles position with Petra Chuda and Natasha Vieira outlasting Jessica Labarte and Jessica Aguilera, 8-6. The duo of Chuda and Vieira are now 7-4 this season.
In singles action, the Wildcats swept four of the six singles matches and secured the match with a 6-3, 6-3 win by Chuda at number five singles over Kari Sloboth. Chuda, a freshman from Sokolnice, Czech Republic, is 8-7 in her young career and is 7-5 in straight set matches.
Kudlackova ended a four-match skid with a 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 decision at number four singles. The senior from Ceska Trebova, Czech Republic is now 3-11 in her final season with the Wildcats.
K-State will return to action on Feb. 7-8 in Boise, Idaho, as the Wildcats taken on Boise State and Colorado State.
Drake (0-3) vs. Kansas State (1-0)
Jan. 31, 2009
Manhattan, Kan. Cottonwood Racquet Club
Kansas State 6, Drake 1
1. Katka Kudlackova/ Nina Sertic (KSU) def. Amanda Aragon/ Gabby Demos (DU); 8-1
2. Antea Huljev/ Mariya Slupska (KSU) def. Veronika Leszayova /Morgan Rainey (DU); 8-7 (Tiebreak 7-3)
3. Petra Chuda/ Natasha Vieira (KSU) def. Jessica Lebarte/ Jessica Aguilera (DU); 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Antea Huljev (KSU) def. Veronika Leszayova (DU); 7-6 (3), 6-1
2. Gabby Demos (DU) def. Mariya Slupska (KSU); 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
3. Nina Sertic (KSU) def. Morgan Rainey (DU); 6-3, 6-3
4. Katka Kudlackova (KSU) def. Jessica Aguilera (DU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
5. Petra Chuda (KSU) def. Kari Sloboth (DU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Natasha Vieira (KSU) def. Amanda Aragon (DU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2, 5*, 4, 6
*match clinched at No. 5 Singles