April 29, 2011
WACO, Texas – No. 44 Kansas State looked to advance to the 2011 Big 12 Championship semifinals for the second time in the program’s history on Friday afternoon, but No. 25 Texas swept past the Wildcats in the quarterfinals at the Baylor Tennis Center, 4-0.
K-State drops to 16-7 this season and had its three-match winning streak snapped, while the Longhorns improve to 15-6 and will face Oklahoma in the semifinals on Saturday.
The Longhorns tallied the first point with a pair of victories in doubles action at number one and three. K-State is now 3-7 this season when dropping the doubles’ point. At number three doubles, sophomores Ana Gomez Aleman and Carmen Borau Ramos had their three-match win streak ended with an 8-4 decision. The duo is now 6-3 this season and 4-2 at the number three position this spring.
In singles action, Texas secured wins at numbers one, two and six with the deciding match coming at number one. Gomez Aleman and freshman Petra Niedermayerova each had their personal winning streaks snapped with their results at number two and one singles, respectively. Gomez Aleman held a career-best nine-match winning streak, while Niedermayerova owned a career-high seven match stretch.
Kansas State will now await its NCAA Tournament fate, which will be decided on Tuesday, May 3 with the 2011 NCAA Women’s Tennis Selection Show. The brackets will be announced and posted at www.NCAA.com.
(44) Kansas State (16-7, 6-5 Big 12) vs. (25) Texas (15-6, 9-2 Big 12)
April 29, 2011
Waco, Texas — Baylor Tennis Center
2011 Big 12 Championships – Quarterfinals
(25) Texas 4, (44) Kansas State 0
1. (54) Amanda Craddock/Cierra Gaytan-Leach (UT) def. Petra Niedermayerova/Nina Sertic (KSU), 8-5
2. Krista Damico/Aeriel Ellis (UT) vs. Karla Bonacic/Petra Chuda (KSU), DNF
3. Juliana Gajic/Maggie Mello (UT) def. Ana Gomez Aleman/Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU), 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1. (26) Aeriel Ellis (UT) def. (49) Petra Niedermayerova (KSU), 6-2, 6-3,
2. Krista Damico (UT) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU), 6-3, 6-0
3. Maggie Mello (UT) vs. Karla Bonacic (KSU), DNF
4. Amanda Craddock (UT) vs. Nina Sertic (KSU), DNF
5. Juliana Gajic (UT) vs. Petra Chuda (KSU), DNF
6. Cierra Gayton-Leach (UT) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU), 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 1*
*- match decided