K-State Outpaced by Sooners
WAMEGO, Kan. - Kansas State women's tennis was looking to build upon its two-match home win streak on Saturday afternoon, but No. 43 Oklahoma spoiled the attempt with a 6-1 win over the Wildcats at the Wamego Recreation Complex.
Kansas State is now 6-10 this season and 3-5 in Big 12 action. Oklahoma improves to 15-4 and 5-3 in the league.
K-State's lone victory on Saturday came from junior Antea Huljev at the number one position in the singles lineup. The product of Velenje, Slovenia earned her second career victory over a ranked foe with a 6-2, 6-4 win over No. 88 Ana Maria Constantinescu. The win halted a two-match downturn for Huljev and brings her overall record this season to 13-18.
In doubles play, Huljev teamed with freshman Karla Bonacic to defeat the No. 23 ranked tandem of Constantinescu and Teona Tsertvadze, 8-2. This is the third win in the last four outings for the duo of Huljev and Bonacic. The pair is now 4-2 this season and 3-1 at number one in the doubles lineup.
Kansas State will play the second of a season-high four-match homestand on Sunday against No. 59 Oklahoma State. Match time is 12 p.m., at the Wamego Recreation Complex.
(43) Oklahoma (15-4, 5-3 Big 12) at Kansas State (6-10, 3-5 Big 12)
April 17, 2010
Wamego, Kan. - Wamego Recreation Complex
Oklahoma 6, Kansas State 1
1. Antea Huljev/Karla Bonacic (KSU) def. (23) Ana-Maria Constantinescu/Teona Tsertvadze (OU), 8-2
2. Tara Eckel/Maria Kalashnikova (OU) def. Nina Sertic/Petra Chuda (KSU), 8-3
3. Marie-Pier Huet/Katelyn Connelly (OU) def. Ana Gomez Aleman/Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU), 8-2
1. Antea Huljev (KSU) def. (88) Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU), 6-2, 6-4
2. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Teona Tsertvadze (OU) def. Nina Sertic (KSU), 6-7 (5), 7-5, 11-9
4. Maria Kalashnikova (OU) def. Karla Bonacic (KSU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Tara Eckel (OU) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Katelyn Connelly (OU) def. Petra Chuda (KSU), 6-3, 6-2