K-State Edged by Colorado
BOULDER, Colo. - Kansas State women's tennis was unable to hold a 3-1 advantage on Friday afternoon, as Colorado came back to defeat the Wildcats, 4-3, at the South Campus Courts. K-State has now dropped five straight road matches.
K-State (5-9, 2-4 Big 12) opened the afternoon by winning the doubles' point for the second straight match. The Wildcats secured wins at number one (Antea Huljev and Karla Bonacic) and three (Ana Gomez Aleman and Carmen Borau Ramos) in the doubles lineup to capture the point. This is the second straight match that this combination has won the doubles' point for K-State.
Colorado (9-8, 2-4) evened the match at one with a victory at number six in singles play. K-State quickly regained the lead with wins at number five and four singles, as Borau Ramos and Bonacic continued their strong play.
Borau Ramos defeated Ania Anuskiewicz, 6-2, 6-4 at number five. The native of Jaca, Spain, boosted her record this spring to 6-5 with her third straight win. This was Borau Ramos' first straight set win since Feb. 27 against Lily Wakim of Wichita State. Borau Ramos is 5-1 when playing in either the five or six positions in the lineup.
Bonacic secured her third straight win and her sixth victory in her last eight outings with a 6-4, 6-4 decision over Michala Hedelund Jensen. The product of Split, Croatia is now 6-4 this spring and is 3-2 in the number four position in the lineup.
The Buffaloes' comeback started with a 6-1, 7-6 (4) win by No. 95 Monica Milewski over Antea Huljev at number one singles. The rally continued, as No. 124 Melisa Esposito came back to defeat Ana Gomez Aleman in three sets, 6-7 (5), 6-1, 6-1, at number two singles. Colorado secured the win with a 6-4, 7-6 (8) win at number three by Abbie Probert over Nina Sertic.
Kansas State will conclude its 2010 spring road schedule on Sunday, as the Wildcats visit Missouri. Match time is slated for 1 p.m.
Kansas State (5-9, 2-4 Big 12) at Colorado (9-8, 2-4 Big 12)
April 9, 2010
Boulder, Colo. - South Campus Courts
Colorado 4, Kansas State 3
1. Antea Huljev/Karla Bonacic (KSU) def. (72) Ania Anuszkiewicz/Monica Milewski (CU), 8-2
2. Michala Hedelund Jensen/Abbie Probert (CU) def. Nina Sertic/Petra Chuda (KSU), 8-5
3. Ana Gomez Aleman/Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU) def. Melisa Esposito/Madie Kern (CU), 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. (95) Monica Milewski (CU) def. Antea Huljev (KSU), 6-1, 7-6 (4)
2. (124) Melisa Esposito (CU) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU), 6-7 (5), 6-1, 6-1
3. Abbie Probert (CU) def. Nina Sertic (KSU), 6-4, 7-6 (8)
4. Karla Bonacic (KSU) def. Michala Hedelund Jensen (CU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU) def. Ania Anuskiewicz (CU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Erin Sanders (CU) def. Petra Chuda (KSU), 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 4, 1, 2, 3*
*- match decided