April 1, 2012
AUSTIN, Texas – Kansas State looked to end its series-long skid against No. 10 Texas, but the Longhorns held back the Wildcats on Sunday at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center. K-State is 5-12 this season and 1-5 in Big 12 play, while Texas improves to 11-5 and 4-0 in the league.
The Longhorns secured the opening point, winning doubles with victories at the number two and three positions. The Wildcats tallied a win at number one doubles as the tandem of Petra Niedermayerova and Karla Bonacic defeated No. 34 ranked Lina Padegmaite and Noel Scott, 8-4. Niedermayerova and Bonacic have now defeated two ranked doubles teams this season and are 2-4 in Big 12 action.
Niedermayerova and Bonacic continued their success in doubles into singles play. The No. 32 ranked Niedermayerova swept past No. 58 Krista Damico, 6-1, 6-4, at number one singles. Niedermayerova improved to 12-5 this spring and 3-3 in Big 12 action. For her career, the sophomore from Brno, Czech Republic owns a 42-21 overall record including a 13-12 record against ranked foes.
Bonacic scratched out a hard fought straight set win over Scott at number two singles, 6-3, 7-5. Bonacic boosted her record this spring to 12-5 including a 4-2 mark in Big 12 play. The junior from Split, Croatia, is 17-7 in her career from the number two position in the lineup and owns a career mark of 51-33. Dating back to the final three matches of the 2010 spring season, Bonacic has won 31 of her last 38 matches in dual match action.
In singles, Texas secured the overall match win with straight set victories at three, four, five and six singles. K-State has now dropped five straight matches.
Kansas State returns to Manhattan to step outside of Big 12 action to face No. 65 Wichita State on Thursday, April 5 at 1 p.m. The match against the Shockers is slated to be played outdoors at the Wamego Recreation Complex in Wamego, Kan.
Kansas State (5-12, 1-5 Big 12) at (10) Texas (11-5, 4-0 Big 12)
April 1, 2012
Austin, Texas — Penick-Allison Tennis Center
(10) Texas 5, Kansas State 2
1. Petra Niedermayerova/Karla Bonacic (KSU) def. (34) Lina Padegmaite/Noel Scott (UT), 8-4
2. Krista Damico/Cierra Gaytan-Leach (UT) def. Petra Chuda/Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU), 8-5
3. Elizabeth Begley/Juliana Gajic (UT) def. Marketa Trousilova/ Carli Wischhoff (KSU), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. (32) Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) def. (58) Krista Damico (UT), 6-1, 6-4
2. (89) Karla Bonacic (KSU) def. Noel Scott (UT), 6-3, 7-5
3. Cierra Gaytan-Leach (UT) def. Amina St. Hill (KSU), 6-1, 6-4
4. Lina Pedegimaite (UT) def. Marketa Trousilova (KSU), 6-0, 6-2
5. Elizabeth Begley (UT) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Juliana Gajic (UT) def. Petra Chuda (KSU), 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 6*, 3, 1, 2
*- match decided