March 25, 2011
WAMEGO, Kan. - Despite a pair of three-set wins from the top two positions in the singles lineup, No. 39 Kansas State was unable to upend No. 25 Texas on Friday afternoon, as the Longhorns secured a 5-2 win on a chilly day at the Wamego Recreation Complex. K-State is now 10-3 this season and 1-2 in Big 12 action, while Texas is 9-4 and 4-0.
The doubles tandem of sophomore Ana Gomez Aleman and junior Petra Chuda were able to set down the number three pair from Texas, Juliana Gajic and Maggie Mello, 8-4 and tie doubles action at one apiece. Gomez Aleman and Chuda are now 4-3 this season and are 4-1 when playing in the number three position in the doubles lineup. Texas was able to secure the doubles' point with wins at number one and two doubles.
The first of K-State's two singles victories on Friday came from freshman Petra Niedermayerova at the number one position in the lineup. The product of Brno, Czech Republic outlasted No. 15 Aeriel Ellis in three sets, 6-3, 1-6, 6-2. The win was Niedermayerova's third in a 3-set match and her first since Feb. 12 against Julie Mazinova of Louisiana-Lafayette.
The win was the fourth by Niedermayerova over a ranked opponent this spring and her second over a top-20 foe within the last week. Niedermayerova is now 16-7 this season and 11-2 from the number one position in the lineup this spring.
K-State's second and final win of the afternoon came from senior Antea Huljev. The native of Velenje, Slovenia came back to defeat Krista Damico at number two singles in three sets, 5-7, 7-6 (1), 1-0 (10-4). Huljev improved her career record to 57-66 and is 23-16 in her career in three-set matches. The win for Huljev brings her mark this spring to 8-3 and halted a two-match personal downturn.
Kansas State will wrap up the Texas portion of its schedule on Saturday, as the Wildcats host No. 25 Texas A&M at 12 p.m. The site of the match will be indoors at the Body First Tennis and Fitness Complex in Manhattan. Admission is free and open to the public. Fans can follow the action on Twitter by following www.twitter.com/kstate_gameday.
(26) Texas (9-4, 4-0 Big 12) at (39) Kansas State (10-3, 1-2 Big 12)
March 25, 2011
Wamego, Kan. -- Wamego Recreation Complex
(26) Texas 5, (39) Kansas State 2
1. (23) Amanda Craddock/Cierra Gaytan-Leach (UT) def. Petra Niedermayerova/Nina Sertic (KSU), 8-4
2. Krista Damico/Aeriel Ellis (UT) def. Antea Huljev/Karla Bonacic (KSU), 8-6
3. Ana Gomez Aleman/Petra Chuda (KSU) def. Juliana Gajic/Maggie Mello (UT), 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) def. (15) Aeriel Ellis (UT), 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
2. Antea Huljev (KSU) def. Krista Damico (UT), 5-7, 7-6 (1), 1-0 (10-4)
3. Maggie Mello (UT) def. Karla Bonacic (KSU), 6-3, 7-6 (3)
4. Amanda Craddock (UT) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU), 7-6 (2), 7-5
5. Juliana Gajic (UT) def. Nina Sertic (KSU), 6-4, 7-5
6. Caroline Larsson (UT) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU), 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 4*, 1, 5, 2
*- match decided