March 9, 2012
WAMEGO, Kan. – Kansas State looked to start its five-match home stand on the right foot and capture its Big 12 opener on Friday, but No. 56 Oklahoma State secured the conference win with a 5-2 decision at Wamego Recreation Complex. The Wildcats are 4-7 overall this season and 0-1 in Big 12 action. The Cowgirls improve to 7-3 overall and 1-1 in the league.
K-State received a pair of singles victories on Friday, as junior Karla Bonacic and freshman Carli Wischhoff tallied the wins. Bonacic won her fourth straight match and her seventh in the last eight matches with a 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 decision over Malika Rose at number two singles. Bonacic is 14-4 in her career in three set matches and is 3-2 this season.
Dating back to the final three matches of the 2010 spring season, Bonacic has won 28 of her last 32 dual matches. The native of Split, Croatia, owns a career record of 48-30 and is 14-4 in her career at number two in the lineup.
Wischhoff captured her second win in her last three outings, as she carded a straight set win over Isabela Miro, 6-4, 6-3, in her first career match at number six singles. Wischhoff, in her brief time with the Wildcats, owns a 3-3 record.
For the first time in nine matches, sophomore Petra Niedermayerova dropped a singles match. The product of Brno, Czech Republic fell in three sets to C.C. Sardinha at number one singles, 7-6, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8). Niedermayerova, who is ranked No. 24 in the Campbell/ITA national singles rankings, is now 9-2 this spring and is 28-6 in career at the number one position. This was Niedermayerova’s first loss to an unranked opponent since April 1, 2011 against Madeleine Geibert of Nebraska. That defeat also came in three sets.
Kansas State will conclude the weekend against No. 40 Oklahoma on Sunday at 12 p.m. The match is slated to play outdoors at Wamego Recreation Complex.
(56) Oklahoma State (7-3, 1-1 Big 12) vs. Kansas State (4-7, 0-1 Big 12)
March 9, 2012
Wamego, Kan. — Wamego Recreation Complex
(56) Oklahoma State 5, Kansas State 2
1. Kanyapat Narattana/Malika Rose (OSU) def. Petra Niedermayerova/Karla Bonacic (KSU), 8-6
2. Meghan Blevins/Mary Jeremiah (OSU) def. Marketa Trousilova/ Carli Wischhoff (KSU), 8-4
3. Petra Chuda/Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU) def. C.C. Sardinha/Isabela Miro (OSU), 8-4
1. C.C. Sardinha (OSU) def. (24) Petra Niedermayerova (KSU), 7-6, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
2. (89) Karla Bonacic (KSU) def. Malika Rose (OSU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Meghan Blevins (OSU) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU), 6-4, 6-0
4. Kanyapat Narattana (OSU) def. Marketa Trousilova (KSU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Mary Jeremiah (OSU) def. Amina St. Hill (KSU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Carli Wischhoff (KSU) def. Isabela Miro (OSU), 6-4, 6-3