K-State Drops Tight Match to North Texas
TULSA, Okla. - Kansas State women's tennis narrowly missed a chance to begin its five-match road trip with a win on Saturday afternoon, as North Texas defeated the Wildcats, 4-3, at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
K-State (3-4) captured three singles victories on Saturday, as the Wildcats received wins from number one, three and six in the lineup. Junior Antea Huljev won for the third time in her last four matches, defeating Irina Paraschiv in three sets, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1, at the number one position. Huljev has now won three straight 3-set matches and is now 5-4 in extended matches this season. The product of Velenje, Slovenia, is now 11-12 this season and is 40-48 in her career.
Freshman Ana Gomez Aleman earned her third singles win this spring, defeating Barbora Vykydalova, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4. This was Gomez Aleman's first career win in the number three position in the K-State lineup. Gomez Aleman now owns a 9-11 mark in her rookie season with the Wildcats.
Freshman Karla Bonacic rounded out K-State's wins on Saturday, as she secured a 6-2, 6-1 decision over Narine Kazarova. The win for Bonacic ended a personal five-match losing streak and was her first of the spring campaign.
Kansas State will conclude action in Tulsa on Sunday morning, as the Wildcats will face No. 40 Tulsa at 10 a.m., at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
North Texas (6-4) vs. Kansas State (3-4)
March 6, 2010
Tulsa, Okla. - Michael D. Case Tennis Center
North Texas 4, Kansas State 3
1. Irina Paraschiv/Amy Joubert (UNT) def. Antea Huljev/Nina Sertic (KSU), 8-5
2. Barbora Vykydalova/Catalina Cruz (UNT) def. Karla Bonacic/Petra Chuda (KSU), 8-3
3. Madura Ranganathan/Paula Dinuta (UNT) def. Carmen Borau Ramos/Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU), 8-3
1. Antea Huljev (KSU) def. Irina Paraschiv (UNT), 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
2. Madura Ranganathan (UNT) def. Nina Sertic (KSU), 6-2, 6-0
3. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU) def. Barbora Vykydalova (UNT), 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Paula Dinuta (UNT) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU), 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Catalina Cruz (UNT) def. Petra Chuda (KSU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
6. Karla Bonacic (KSU) def. Narine Kazarova (UNT), 6-2, 6-1