Feb. 29, 2012
LINCOLN, Neb. – Kansas State made its first trip north to face No. 34 Nebraska in a non-conference women’s tennis match and came up just short of the upset, falling 4-3 on Wednesday night at the Nebraska Tennis Center. The Wildcats are now 4-6 this season, while the Cornhuskers improve to 10-1.
Nebraska captured the doubles point, by sweeping through all three doubles matches. This was the third time this season K-State has been swept in doubles action and the first time since Feb. 10 at Tulsa.
Petra Niedermayerova, ranked No. 24 in the latest Campbell/ITA national singles rankings, improved her record this spring to 9-1 and finished the month of February a perfect 6-0 with a straight set win over No. 55 Mary Weatherholt at number one singles, 6-3, 6-1. Niedermayerova is now 12-9 in her career against opponents ranked in the Campbell/ITA national singles rankings. The sophomore from Brno, Czech Republic is now 15-3 in straight set matches this season and 34-9 in her career.
The Cornhuskers retook control of the match, 3-1, with a trio of straight set wins. Nebraska secured a 6-2, 6-0 decision at number three singles, followed by a 6-3, 6-2 victory at number four singles. The Huskers sealed the match win with a 6-3, 7-5 win at number five singles.
The Wildcats did not concede the final two matches, as Karla Bonacic captured her third straight win with a three-set victory at number two singles, 1-6, 7-6, 10-5, over Patricia Veresova. Bonacic has now won nine of her last 11 outings and owns a 14-6 record this season. The three-set win on Wednesday by Bonacic was her second this season and brings her record to 13-4 in extended matches.
Closing out the night for K-State was freshman Amina St. Hill. The product of Gothenburg, Sweden tallied a hard fought straight set win at number six singles, 6-4, 6-3, over Maike Zeppernick. St. Hill is now 4-4 in her brief time with the Wildcats.
Kansas State opens Big 12 action on Friday, March 9 and Sunday, March 11 against Oklahoma State and Oklahoma in Manhattan.
Kansas State (4-6, 0-0 Big 12) at (34) Nebraska (10-1, 0-0 Big Ten)
February 29, 2012
Lincoln, Neb. — Nebraska Tennis Center
(34) Nebraska 4, Kansas State 3
1. Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NEB) def. Petra Niedermayerova/Karla Bonacic (KSU), 8-3
2. Janine Weinreich/Stefanie Weinstein (NEB) def. Marketa Trousilova/ Carli Wischhoff (KSU), 8-5
3. Jennifer Holmberg/Maike Zeppernick (NEB) def. Ana Gomez Aleman/Amina St. Hill (KSU), 8-7
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. (24) Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) def. (55) Mary Weatherholt (NEB), 6-3, 6-1
2. (89) Karla Bonacic (KSU) def. Patricia Veresova (NEB), 1-6, 7-6, 10-5
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NEB) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU), 6-2, 6-0
4. (106) Janine Weinreich (NEB) def. Marketa Trousilova (KSU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Izabella Zgierska (NEB) def. Carli Wischhoff (KSU), 6-3, 7-5
6. Amina St. Hill (KSU) def. Maike Zeppernick (NEB), 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4, 5*, 2, 6
*- match decided