K-State Shuts Out Lobos
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Kansas State closed out its weekend at the Linda Estes Tennis Center with a 7-0 win over New Mexico on Sunday afternoon. This was K-State's first shut out win since April 18, 2008 against Iowa State.
K-State (3-2, 0-0 Big 12) started the day off by winning its fourth doubles point of the season. The number one tandem of junior Antea Huljev and sophomore Nina Sertic shut out the pairing of Anya Villanueva and Kristin Eggleston, 8-0. K-State clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 win from the number two pair of freshman Karla Bonacic and sophomore Petra Chuda.
In singles play, freshman Maryna Chumak secured the win for the Wildcats with a 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 decision over Elaine Bourdages. Chumak has now won a career-high five straight singles matches and boosted her record in three-set matches to 2-1 in her rookie campaign.
Huljev secured her third win in her last four singles matches with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Villanueva for K-State's first singles win on Sunday. Huljev now owns a record of 10-11 this season.
Kansas State returns to Manhattan to face in-state foe Wichita State on Saturday, February 27 at 12 p.m. The match will be played at Cottonwood Racquet Club and admission is free.
Kansas State (3-2) at New Mexico (1-6)
Feb. 21, 2010
Albuquerque, N.M. - Linda Estes Tennis Center
Kansas State 7, New Mexico 0
1. Antea Huljev/Nina Sertic (KSU) def. Anya Villanueva/Kristin Eggleston (UNM), 8-0
2. Karla Bonacic/Petra Chuda (KSU) def. Michaela Oldani/Amy Shipperd (UNM), 8-5
3. Maryna Chumak/Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU) def. Laura Richardson/Elaine Bourdages (UNM), 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Antea Huljev (KSU) def. Anya Villanueva (UNM), 6-2, 6-3
2. Nina Sertic (KSU) def. Laura Richardson (UNM), 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
3. Petra Chuda (KSU) def. Amy Shipperd (UNM), 6-7 (9-7), 6-3, 6-3
4. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU) def. Kristin Eggleston (UNM), 6-4, 6-7 (9-7), 1-0 (10-6)
5. Maryna Chumak (KSU) def. Elaine Bourdages (UNM), 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
6. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU) def. Michaela Oldani (UNM), 6-4, 6-0
Order of Finish : 1, 6, 5*, 4, 2, 3*- clinched the match