Wildcats Drop Tight One to Nevada
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Kansas State got off to a solid start by winning the doubles point against Nevada on Saturday afternoon, but the Wolf Pack secured the win with four singles victories at the Linda Estes Tennis Center on the University of New Mexico campus.
K-State (2-2, 0-0 Big 12) won the doubles point for the third time this season with wins at number one and number two. The Wildcats' top duo of Antea Huljev and Nina Sertic dispatched of Maria Mizyuk and Sophie Stevens, 8-3. This was the 10th win this season for the tandem of Huljev and Sertic.
At number two doubles, freshman Karla Bonacic and sophomore Petra Chuda outlasted Florence De Vrye and Aline Laurioux, 9-7. Bonacic and Chuda are now 3-1 this season.
In singles play, Huljev evened her spring record at 2-2 with a three-set win over Mizyuk at number one singles, 7-5, 3-6, 7-5. The junior from Velenje, Slovenia, is now 4-3 in three-set matches this season.
Freshman Maryna Chumak improved her career-high singles win streak to four by defeating Aodhnait Lombard at number six, 6-2, 6-4. The product of Odessa, Ukraine, is now 7-8 in her debut season with the Wildcats.
Kansas State returns to action on Sunday at the Linda Estes Tennis Center to face New Mexico at 10 a.m.
Kansas State (2-2) vs. Nevada (3-4)
Feb. 20, 2010
Albuquerque, N.M. - Linda Estes Tennis Center
Nevada 4, Kansas State 3
1. Antea Huljev/Nina Sertic (KSU) def. Maria Mizyuk/Sophie Stevens (UN), 8-3
2. Karla Bonacic/Petra Chuda (KSU) def. Florence De Vrye/Aline Laurioux (UN), 9-7
3. Lais Ogata/Emma Verberne (UN) def. Natasha Vieira/Maryna Chumak (KSU), 8-4
1. Antea Huljev (KSU) def. Maria Mizyuk (UN), 7-5, 3-6, 7-5
2. Emma Verbenre (UN) def. Nina Sertic (KSU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Florence De Vrye (UN) def. Ana Gomez-Aleman (KSU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Lais Ogata (UN) def. Petra Chuda (KSU), 4-6, 7-6, 6-4
5. Sophie Stevens (UN) def. Karla Bonacic (KSU), 6-1, 7-6
6. Maryna Chumak (KSU) def. Aodhnait Lombard (UN), 6-2, 6-4