K-State Blanked by Iowa
MANHATTAN, Kan. - Playing its first match in two weeks, Kansas State women's tennis suffered its first defeat on Saturday afternoon, as Iowa held back the Wildcats, 7-0, at Cottonwood Racquet Club.
K-State (2-1) received a win from one of its three doubles pairs, as freshman Karla Bonacic and Nina Sertic defeated Zuzi Chmelarova and Meril Beelen at number two doubles, 8-6. This was the first time this tandem was used this season.
In singles action, the Wildcats were dealt a pair of three-set losses. At number three singles, freshman Ana Gomez Aleman captured the first set over Beelen but fell short in the remaining two sets, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.
In the deciding match of the afternoon, Sertic was outlasted by Lynne Poggensee-Wei, 1-6, 7-6 (6-4), 6-4. The loss ended a two-match streak for Sertic.
Kansas State returns to the road next weekend to face Nevada and New Mexico in Albuquerque, N.M.
Kansas State (2-1) vs. Iowa (2-1)
Feb. 13, 2010
Manhattan, Kan. - Cottonwood Racquet Club
Iowa 7, Kansas State 0
1. Sonja Molnar/ Lynne Poggensee-Wei (UI) def. Antea Huljev / Petra Chuda (KSU), 8-2
2. Karla Bonacic / Nina Sertic (KSU) def. Zuzi Chmelarova / Meril Beelen (UI), 8-6
3. Jessica Young / Kelcie Klockenga (UI) def. Maryna Chumak / Natasha Vieira (KSU), 8-2
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Sonja Molnar (UI) def. Antea Huljev (KSU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (UI) def. Nina Sertic (KSU), 1-6, 7-6 (6-4), 6-4
3. Merel Beelen (UI) def. Ana Gomez-Aleman (KSU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Jessica Young (UI) def. Karla Bonacic (KSU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Kelcie Klockegna (UI) def. Petra Chuda (KSU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Alexis Dorr (UI) def. Natasha Vieira (KSU), 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2, 4, 5, 6