Feb. 5, 2012
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – No. 53 Kansas State was looking to capture the 250th career win for head coach Steve Bietau on Sunday, but No. 32 Arkansas held off the Wildcats bid with a 5-2 win at the Billingsley Tennis Center. K-State is now 2-4 this season, while Arkansas improves to 5-1.
The Razorbacks jumped to a quick 2-0 lead by capturing a hard-fought doubles point and a straight set win at number four singles. K-State secured a win at number two doubles from the tandem of Karla Bonacic and Carmen Borau Ramos. The pair won their second doubles match of the weekend with a 9-8 decision over Kate Lukomskaya and Catherine Parenteau. The duo of Bonacic and Borau Ramos are now 6-2 this season and have won three of their last four outings together.
Niedermayerova trimmed the deficit to 2-1 by winning her fifth straight singles match. The sophomore and No. 17 player in the nation dispatched of Emily Carbone, 6-2, 6-3. Niedermayerova is now 35-17 in her career and 11-7 this season. This was Niedermayerova’s 30th career win in straight sets.
Arkansas pushed the lead back to two, 3-1, with a win at No. 5 singles but the Wildcats’ Karla Bonacic brought K-State back to within one, 3-2. The No. 94 player in the nation and native of Split, Croatia, secured her first 3-set win of the season with a 6-2, 5-7, 6-4, decision over Stephanie Roy at No. 2 singles. Bonacic has won three straight matches and five of her last six matches. Bonacic is 44-29 in her career and 11-5 this season.
Arkansas was able to secure the win by capturing a pair of three-set wins at number three and six singles.
Kansas State will conclude its eight-match road trip next weekend in Tulsa, Okla., as the Wildcats face No. 20 Tulsa and UT-Arlington on Feb. 10-11.
(53) Kansas State (2-4, 0-0 Big 12) at (32) Arkansas (5-1, 0-0 SEC)
February 5, 2012
Fayetteville, Ark. — Billingsley Tennis Center
(32) Arkansas 5, (53) Kansas State 2
1. Claudine Paulson/Laurie Gingras (UA) def. Petra Niedermayerova/Carli Wischhoff (KSU), 8-6
2. Karla Bonacic/Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU) def. Kate Lukomskaya/Catherine Parenteau (UA), 9-8
3. Stephanie Roy/Emily Carbone (UA) def. Marketa Trousilova/Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU), 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. (17) Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) def. Emily Carbone (UA), 6-2, 6-3
2. (94) Karla Bonacic (KSU) def. Stephanie Roy (UA), 6-2, 5-7, 6-4
3. Kate Lukomskaya (UA) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU), 6-7, 6-2, 6-3
4. Claudine Paulson (UA) def. Carli Wischhoff (KSU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Laurie Gingras (UA) def. Marketa Trousilova (KSU), 6-4, 7-5
6. Catherine Parenteau (UA) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU), 2-6, 6-4, 7-6
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 5, 2, 6*, 3
*- match decided