DES MOINES, Iowa - Kansas State concluded its sweep of the weekend, by defeating Drake on Sunday afternoon at the Roger Knapp Tennis Center, 6-1. This is K-State's first 2-0 start since the beginning of the 2008 season.
The Wildcats started the afternoon with a sweep of doubles action. K-State clinched the doubles point with a 9-7 win at number two doubles by Petra Chuda and Ana Gomez Aleman. This was the first spring dual win for the tandem and brings their record together to 3-1.
In singles action, senior Natasha Vieira closed out Amanda Aragon, 6-0, 6-4, to seal the win for the Wildcats. The product of Carabobo, Venezuela, has now won four of her last five matches and owns a 7-8 mark this season.
K-State has now won seven straight matches against Drake and are 51-25 against teams from the Missouri Valley Conference.
Kansas State returns to Manhattan on Feb. 13 to face Iowa. The match will be played at Cottonwood Racquet Club with an 11 a.m., start and admission is free.
Kansas State (2-0) vs. Drake (0-2)
Jan. 31, 2010
Des Moines, Iowa - Roger Knapp Tennis Center
Kansas State 6, Drake 1
1. Antea Huljev/Nina Sertic (KSU) def. Gabriela Demos/Manca Krizman (DU), 8-7 (9-7)
2. Petra Chuda/Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU) def. Amanda Aragon/Jessica Labarte (DU), 9-7
3. Natasha Vieira/Maryna Chumak (KSU) def. Jessica Aguilera/Ali Patterson (DU), 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Antea Huljev (KSU) def. Manca Krizman (DU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Gabriela Demos (DU) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Nina Sertic (KSU) def. Ali Patterson (DU), 1-6, 7-5, 10-5
4. Petra Chuda (KSU) def. Jessica Aguilera (DU), 6-2, 7-5
5. Maryna Chumak (KSU) def. Jessica Labarte (DU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Natasha Vieira (KSU) def. Amanda Aragon (DU), 6-0, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 1, 2, 6, 4, 3