Jan. 29, 2012
CLEMSON, S.C. – No. 46 Kansas State finished its weekend at the ITA Kickoff Weekend with a decisive 4-0 win on Sunday morning over UNC-Wilmington at the Clemson Indoor Tennis Center. The Wildcats are now 2-2 this season, while the Seahawks fall to 2-3.
K-State jump started its day with a pair of 8-3 wins in doubles play to secure the first point of the match. Dating back to last season, Kansas State is now 15-0 when winning the doubles point. The Wildcats’ number three pair of Carmen Borau Ramos and Ana Gomez Aleman dispatched of Casey Dashiell and Miller Hales. This was the first time Borau Ramos and Gomez Aleman have played together in 2011-12 and are now 7-3 in doubles play in the last two season.
The Wildcats secure the doubles point, as the No. 28 ranked pair of Petra Niedermayerova and Marketa Trousilova dropped Angela Sekely and Kelly Cameron. Niedermayerova and Trousilova are now 5-2 this season.
In singles play, Niedermayerova improved her winning streak to three with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Christina Lee. Niedermayerova, ranked No. 17 in the Campbell/ITA national singles rankings, is now 9-7 this season and has achieved her second three-match winning streak of the season. For her career, she is now 33-17 and 28-9 in straight set matches.
Pushing K-State’s lead to 3-0 was freshman Carli Wischhoff with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Alyssa Ritchie at number five singles. The rookie from Heelsum, Netherlands, registered her first career singles win as a Wildcat after joining the program prior to the start of the second semester.
Closing out the win on Sunday was junior and No. 94 ranked Karla Bonacic. The native of Split, Croatia, rebounded from her first loss in three matches with a 7-6, 6-2 win over Sekely. Bonacic is now 42-29 in her career and is 9-5 this season.
Kansas State returns to action next weekend, as the Wildcats travel to Fayetteville, Ark. K-State will face North Texas on Saturday, Feb. 4 at 12 p.m., followed by a match on Sunday, Feb. 5 at 12 p.m., against host Arkansas.
(46) Kansas State (2-2, 0-0 Big 12) vs. UNC-Wilmington (2-3, 0-0 CAA)
January 29, 2012
Clemson, South Carolina — Clemson Indoor Tennis Center
(46) Kansas State 4, UNC-Wilmington 0
1. (28) Petra Niedermayerova/Marketa Trousilova (KSU) def. Angela Sekely/Kelly Cameron (UNCW), 8-3
2. Karla Bonacic/Carli Wischhoff (KSU) vs. Christina Lee/Alyssa Ritchie (UNCW), 5-2 (DNF)
3. Gomez Aleman/Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU) vs. Casey Dashiell/Miller Hales (UNCW), 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,1, 2 (DNF)
1. (17) Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) def. Christina Lee (UNCW), 6-1, 6-0
2. (94) Karla Bonacic (KSU) def. Angela Sekely (UNCW), 7-6, 6-2
3. Amina St. Hill (KSU) vs. Kelly Cameron (UNCW), DNF
4. Marketa Trousilova (KSU) vs. Christina Riley (UNCW), DNF
5. Carli Wischhoff (KSU) def. Alyssa Ritchie (UNCW), 6-2, 6-0
6. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU) vs. Casey Dashiell (UNCW), DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 2*
*- match decided