MANHATTAN, Kan. - The No. 2 game of the Bill Snyder era as voted by the fans in Powercat Passport's Countdown to Kickoff 2005 ended 29 years of frustration for Kansas State.
The Wildcats had not defeated mighty Nebraska in over a generation, but that all changed on a magical night in November of 1998, as K-State rallied for a 40-30 victory before 44,298 crazed fans at KSU Stadium in a game that epitomized the term historic victory.
Kansas State entered the contest as the No. 1 team in the land according to the coaches' poll, but hardly looked the part after a mistake-filled first half.
But once the Wildcats regained their composure, the contested played out more like a heavyweight prize fight than a college football game, with the momentum seesawing back and forth until K-State finally took the lead for good late in the fourth quarter on an 11-yard touchdown pass from Michael Bishop to Darnell McDonald for a 34-30 lead.
Nebraska had one final chance, but as Husker quarterback Eric Crouch moved around the pocket with time running down, Joe Bob Clements jarred the ball loose and Jeff Kelly returned it 23 yards for a touchdown that put the final nail in the coffin and unleashed a sea of pandemonium of the turf of Wagner Field.
Bishop, who had a hand in all four of the Wildcats' offensive touchdowns, became the first player in Big 8/12 history to throw for over 300 yards and rush for 100 yards in the same game as he generated an incredible 446 yards of total offense (306 pass/140 rush) to help the Wildcats improved to 10-0 for the first time in school history.
Saturday's 1 p.m. webcast of K-State's 1998 win over Nebraska moves Powercat Passport's Countdown to Kickoff 2005 within one step of the fans' No. 1 game of the Bill Snyder era.
The fans' pick as the No. 1 game will be webcast on August 27th, one week before the Wildcats kickoff their 2005 season vs. Florida International.
In conjunction with the Top 10 countdown, a one-year subscription discount of $10 is being offered on Powercat Passport, which provides hundreds of hours of video from Wildcat coaches' shows as well as game-day features, to season highlights, exclusive interviews with players and coaches and classic games like the Fan's Top 10.
Last season, Powercat Passport was the only site on the Internet for fans to access live streaming video of Wildcat football, basketball, baseball, and volleyball and promises to once again be the leader in live Internet coverage of Kansas State athletics in 2005-06.
Countdown to Kickoff: Top 10 Greatest Games of the Bill Snyder Era
As voted by K-State fans
- #10: January 1, 2001 (Dallas, Texas / Cotton Bowl) - Kansas State 35, Tennessee 21
- #9: November 11, 2000 (Manhattan, Kan) - Kansas State 29, Nebraska 28
- #8: September 21, 2002 (Manhattan, Kan) - Kansas State 27, Southern California 20
- #7: October 30, 1993 (Manhattan, Kan) - Kansas State 21, Oklahoma 7
- #6: September 19, 1998 (Manhattan, Kan) - Kansas State 48, Texas 7
- #5: December 29, 1993 (Tuscon, Ariz / Copper Bowl) - Kansas State 52, Wyoming 17
- #4: November 15, 2003 (Lincoln, Neb) - Kansas State 38, Nebraska 9
- #3: December 31, 1997 (Tempe, Ariz / Fiesta Bowl) - Kansas State 35, Syracuse 18
- #2: November 14, 1998 (Manhattan, Kan) - Kansas State 40, Nebraska 30
- #1: Released August 27