In keeping with the tradition established by Nichols Gymnasium (1946-50) and Ahearn Field House (1950-88), Bramlage Coliseum (1988-present) has given Kansas State a deafening, winning environment. In 2008-09, the Wildcats men's basketball team secured their 63rd straight home winning season with their win over North Dakota State on Jan. 2. The program also earned its 200th victory at Bramlage Coliseum in 2005-06 in a 66-63 win over Iowa State on Feb. 8.
While carrying on the tradition, Bramlage Coliseum has also pointed K-State in a new direction. The Wildcats now play in one of the most beautiful and modern facilities in the country. In just over 20 seasons, it has played host to some of the biggest crowds in the history of K-State basketball, a program that is accustomed to playing in front of packed houses.
The structure has hosted seven of the 10 largest crowds in Kansas State 's impressive men's basketball history, including a Bramlage-record 13,762 for the Kansas game on Feb. 22, 1992.
The first major addition to Bramlage since its opening took prior to the 2007-08 season with the Loge Box seating area. This also marked the first kind of premium seating in Bramlage that can be used for entertaining business clients, family and friends. Open-air Loge Box seating was constructed at the top of the east side of the Coliseum and included rolling leather chairs, flat screen televisions, cabinetry and countertops for food and drink storage, a full catering menu, refrigerator, ice bins and data outlets.
A $2.5 million renovation greeted fans to Bramlage Coliseum for the 2000-01 basketball season. In cooperation with Action Sports Media of Portland, Ore., the home of the Kansas State basketball had improvements both to the seating area and the concourse, designed to make the building more fan-friendly. Inside the arena, fans enjoyed a new four-sided scoreboard above the arena, complete with video panels on all four sides. The renovations included a new sound system, three-sided shot clocks and ribbon boards added to the top of the Coliseum.
On the concourse, fans are welcomed by four trophy cases highlighting historical moments in K-State athletics, as well as 98 plaques depicting outstanding K-State teams, players and moments from all sports.
More than just numbers, though, Bramlage Coliseum has maintained the intangibles that have been a part of Kansas State basketball for so long. The frenzied crowds are close to the action as the pit-like construction seats fans seemingly right on top of the game.
In addition, the 6,000 student seats are located directly behind both team benches on the east side of the coliseum, by far the largest student section in the Big 12, creating an intimidating environment that continues the tradition of K-State basketball.
The coliseum is named for the late 1935 KSU graduate and Junction City ( Kan. ) businessman Fred Bramlage, who made the original and principle contribution. The building was constructed at a cost of $17.2 million and was built in a 22-month period beginning in October of 1986.
Financial backing, which began taking shape in 1979, came from a number of contributions, including $7 million from the student body and a matching figure from alumni. Unlike its predecessor, Ahearn Field House (built for $2 million in 1950), state monies were not used for Bramlage Coliseum.
Mr. Bramlage was on hand Oct. 18, 1986, to break ground on the new facility. Other dignitaries included then-Governor John Carlin and K-State President Jon Wefald.
“What we begin here today will add to the glory and reputation of KSU,” Bramlage said at the ceremony. “My hope is that this coliseum will inspire people to come together around teams in the spirit of cooperation.”
On that same day, Art Loub, Director of the KSU Foundation, said, “If it were not for Fred Bramlage, this day would not be a reality. This is a tribute to the dedication and resourcefulness of one individual.”
Mild winters helped construction crews finish the project nearly two months ahead of schedule. Most of the athletics offices were moved from Ahearn to Bramlage in September of 1988. Those offices now housed in the coliseum include the office of the athletics director and most of the administrative offices and the men's basketball offices.
||BASKETBALL TRAINING FACILITY
Click here to view photos and videos of the Basketball Training Facility
A new chapter in the history of Kansas State men's and women's basketball was unveiled in 2012, as K-State Athletics dedicated its new $18 million Basketball Training Facility.
Located on the east side of Bramlage Coliseum, the 50,000-square foot facility will be the central headquarters for the Kansas State men's and women's basketball teams with close proximity to game day activities and other facilities such as the Academic Learning Center.
The building is equipped with two practice courts, coaches' offices, locker rooms for both teams and coaches, player lounges, a theatre-style team film room, a 2,500-square foot weight room, a sports medicine center with a state-of-the-art hydrotherapy facility and an atrium lobby with viewing deck.
The facility was designed by Populous and constructed by MW Builders, and blends a modern glass and steel structure with the tradition of K-State limestone on the exterior.